World green city award
LiFE – Lifestyle for environment
Mains value addition
GS-III- Disaster Management
Context Social activist Daya Bai, who has been on a hunger strike in Thiruvananthapuram since October 2 seeking solutions to the problems faced by endosulfan victims, ended her stir on Wednesday.
- has banned the manufacture, sale, use, and export of endosulfan throughout the country, citing its harmful health effects in 2011.
- It is listed under the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent.
- Use of endosulfan is banned by Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants.
- Uses: Sprayed on crops like cotton, cashew, fruits, tea, paddy, tobacco etc. for control of pests in agriculture such as whiteflies, aphids, beetles, worms etc.
- Effects on humans: This pesticide is a known carcinogen, neurotoxin and genotoxin (damages DNA) and destroys the integrity of the nerve cells.
- Environmental effects – Gets accumulated in food chains leading to higher doses and may bioconcentrate in aquatic organisms.
WORLD GREEN CITY AWARD 2022 -HYDERABAD,TELANGANA
|Living Green for Biodiversity||Columbia|
|Living Green for Climate Change||Mexico|
|Living Green for Health and Wellbeing||Brazil|
|Living Green for Water||Canada|
|Living Green for Social Cohesion||France|
|Living Green for Economic Recovery and Inclusive Growth||India|
- Hyderabad was the only Indian city that was selected and it not only won the category award but also the overall ‘World Green City 2022’ award.
- The Outer Ring Road (ORR) greening was submitted in the “Living green for Economic Recovery and Inclusive Growth” category as Hyderabad’s entry.
- The category emphasizes creating systems and solutions that allow all city residents to overcome economic distress and thrive. The ORR greenery called ‘Green Necklace to the State of Telangana’ was considered the best in this category.
- ORR is officially called the Jawaharlal Nehru Outer Ring Road.
- The award is a testimony to the continuous efforts and focuses of the Telangana government on increasing the green cover in the state through its flagship program “Telangana Ku Haritha Haram” (TKHH).
- Hyderabad won the World Green Cities Award for taking initiatives relying on better use of plants and nature to make better city environments and for helping fulfill local aspirations for economic, social, and environmental resilience.
EDITORIAL – LiFE – LIFESTYLE FOR ENVIRONMENT
While governments and industry carry the lion’s share of responsibility for responding to the crisis, we as consumers play a large role in driving unsustainable production methods.
Onus on the developed world– The average carbon footprint of a person in a high income country is more than 80 times higher than that of a person in a least developed country.
LIFE, a fresh perspective
India’s track record
With COP27 next month, and India set to assume the G20 Presidency weeks after, followed by the halfway mark to Agenda 2030 next year, we at Team UN India and our 26 entities are proud and committed partners in this mission to help give a new lease of LIFE to climate action.
MAINS VALUE ADDITION
GS-I / IV
Twenty-one children, living under a flyover along with their parents and resorting to begging for livelihood, have been admitted to a civic body-run school under a rehabilitation drive with the help of an NGO, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi said
Arumughaswamy Commission of Inquiry – The circumstances that led to the death of former TN Chief Minister Jayalalithaa
PM to start Mission schools of excellence in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
CSIR – NIScPR
World Spice Congress
- The world’s largest exclusive business platform for the spice sector, 14th World Spice Congress (WSC)
- Biennial event is Organized by Spices Board India (Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Govt. of India)
- To be held in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra during 16-18 February 2023
- Spices Board is organizing the World Spice Congress as a G20 event on the sidelines of India’s G20 presidency for the period December 2022 to November 2023 with more focus on further strengthening India’s trade ties with the G20 countries.
- “The 14th edition of the WSC is going to be all about and only about ‘SPICES’.
- The theme chosen for the current edition of WSC is ‘Vision 2030: SPICES’ (Sustainability– Productivity – Innovation – Collaboration- Excellence and Safety)”
- The Spices Board of India is a regulatory and export promotion body for Indian spices. It was set up in 1987 under the Spices Board Act, 1986 to promote the production and development of cardamom and the export of other species mentioned in act. Headquarters- Kochi, Kerala.
Tamil Nadu launches mission to save critically endangered vultures
- In Tamil Nadu, four species of vultures are found — the Oriental white-backed vulture, the long-billed vulture, the red-headed vulture, and the Egyptian vulture.
Nurture diversity by condemning hate speech unequivocally – UN chief